Friday, October 31, 2008

Gentlemen - Start Your Engines - or not

 I got this offer to view videos of business software. All I had to do was sign up. 


So I went to the create account section and there was this nice red text and button inviting me to get started. 

Only problem - it was inactive - clicking did nothing. And, right below this area of the page was a form for signing up.

So I'm wondering
  1. Since the form is right there why do they need this kind of prompt?
  2. If they feel they need it - why did they make it look like an actionable element? No action is required (yes I know - other than fill out the form)
  3. I know it's a call to action but the text would have been sufficient. Like I said, the form was about half an inch below. 
Why do I have a problem with this? Because people have preconceived notions about what certain things on a web page represent. The downward arrow looks like it should be clicked to get started.  Some users might interpret this as a necessary action even though the form was close by. 

So, choose icons carefully. Use graphical elements that clearly do one of two things
  1. Prompt the user to click to take the next step  OR
  2. Direct the user to continue on without having to click on anything

No comments: